Welcome to the UK Centre of upholstery manufacture
Long Eaton lies between Nottingham and Derby just north of the River Trent, and since 1974 has been part of the borough of Erewash. In the 19th Century Long Eaton was a thriving industrial town manufacturing much of the ‘Nottingham’ lace which was sold worldwide. By the middle of the 20th Century demand for lace had fallen sharply but fortunately this coincided with the rise of furniture and upholstery manufacturing in the town. Upholstery manufacture has continued to thrive in Long Eaton to the point where it is the centre of quality upholstery manufacture in the UK.
The assertion that Long Eaton is the centre of quality upholstery manufacture in the UK is based on the following facts.
- There are over 50 companies involved in furniture manufacturing or allied industries in Long Eaton.
- Much of the upholstery manufactured in Long Eaton can be found in the best retailers, house furnishers, design studios and hotels in the UK, and exported throughout the world.
- Furniture made in Long Eaton graces many British and foreign Embassies, and some of the world’s finest hotels.
- ‘Long Point’, the main trade exhibition for high end furniture in the UK, takes place twice a year in Long Eaton, attracting buyers from all over the world.
- Over 2,700 people are employed in furniture manufacturing or allied industries in Long Eaton and the turnover of these companies is over £250 million.
- Many furniture manufacturers making elsewhere in the country have permanent offices and showrooms based in Long Eaton to benefit from the reputation Long Eaton has for high quality furniture.
- The main UK training centre for quality furniture manufacture was formed by Long Eaton companies and is now based just 3 miles away in Beeston.
Furniture displaying the Logo is your guarantee that it has been, or will be, made in Long Eaton.
Michael J. Lucking
Chairman – Long Eaton Chamber of Trade
Only companies manufacturing within the boundaries of Long Eaton may use the registered Trade Mark.